Sunday, December 16, 2012

Season For Love


It's been months since I've written on this blog. 
So much has been happening...so much positive change and transformation...that sometimes, it's nice
just to be able to give one's self over to it and live it in the moment
taking it all in, and enjoying life as it unfolds.

But the magic of this special season is upon us and so I will attempt my 
best to take a written snapshot of what this time has been like for us.
In church today, I felt like we are all being pulled in two distinct directions.
In late October, what I consider to be the beginning of my favorite three months of the year,
we had Hurricane Sandy hit. And I did not feel that it was right to 
celebrate while so many suffered.

Thanksgiving came and we sat gratefully at the table with our dearest, sweet family...all together.
We had dinner at a historic stone inn out on the eastern coast of our beloved, Long Island.
It was quiet and beautiful and perfect. 
It was restful, even though it was only for a couple of days. 
I was able to sneak off for an afternoon of holiday shopping and Starbuck's, which was extra special.

This Christmas, again, pulled in two directions by the trouble in and of the world.
And yet, I sat next to good friends today in church, looking up at my daughter as she read from the pulpit, the first reading...and happy, warm tears flowed. I am so proud of her, so proud of us.
We are strong. We are courageous and brave and proud. 
Like Jesus did, we too, must overcome the world, with all it's sin, tragedies, 
devastation, and sorrow. 
And I think we are doing pretty amazing, if I do say so myself.
We are both flourishing and thriving. 
Happy and Healthy. 
Grateful and so very Loved by so many, 
especially a loving God.

Our journey to foster continues. 
In fact, we are almost done. 
Just a short ways away to meet our new family member.
We are both so excited, waiting for 
her with open hearts and arms. 
So much to look forward to in the days and year ahead.

Meanwhile, these last days of advent are my personal favorite. 
I am performing the finishing touches on the handmade gifts, not too many this year. 
There were some crochet and upcycled cardboard ornaments and frames, 
some ring-dishes made of clay- painted and sealed...a fleece wrap for the matriarch of the family,
a book-safe for a special someone, photo coasters made of porcelain tiles, and some stuffed dolls made out of one of my 
favorite cardigans. 

I had big plans for candles this year and had even thrifted and saved so many pretty teacups and glassware for the "event," but it never happened. Neither did the herbal-sea salt handsoaps, 
the spice-infused scotch, and a couple of other creations I was hoping to pull off.

I couldn't help it. This season, I just wanted to be in the moment...
relaxing, exploring, doing, educating myself on fostering, making memories
creating, meditating, yoga-ing, and reading up on alternative healing modalities.
So much to learn and see and do! Always.

Off to do some thrifting today. My family decided to do Secret Santa this year. 
We have such a small family and there was no way I could NOT give each individual a little 
something, so I've been doing really well at the local thrift and consignment shops. I found a real hidden gem on the other side of the island. I am so happy!
I was able to buy some beautiful books, ornaments, a vintage throw from Mexico, brass raindeer figurines, 
porcelain vases, a cookie jar, vintage candy dishes, and more all for under $20.00.

'Tis the season!

Tis the season for Love and Healing and Joy and Peace and Giving
and Laughter and Spending Meaningful Time with Our Loved Ones.

Peace on Earth and Good Will Toward Men.

xoxo

3 comments:

Bekah Turner said...

SO much love mama. This is awesome.

Unknown said...

I was thinking about you too and so happy that you have such wonderful things happening in your life. You and your daughter deserve every happiness in the world. I can imagine how proud you must have been of her at church. I love this time of year too!

Anne said...

That was such a beautiful post! Merry, Merry Christmas!