Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Nigella's Butternut Squash Soup

Oops. I just realize after inserting this photo of Nigella Lawson, that she's hanging out of this dress a wee bit Sorry. I just saw her image captured in black and white, and decided this was not the usual type of photo you find of this beautiful gal.
I love this food journalist/celebrity chef. I appreciate her simple, unpretentious attitude towards food. She's not ashamed of her buxom figure or her healthy appetite for food. I don't know too many people who don't own at least one of her cookbooks. She's usually my first "go to" source for a recipe. I know it will be straightforward and simple. Tonight's Butternut Squash soup recipe is a perfect example:
Indredients:
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 chopped onion
1 tab ground cumin
1 tab ground coriander
2 pints water
2 chicken or vegetable stock cubes
Put everything in a pan, bring to the boil, cover and cook for 25 mins. Liquidise.
Couldn't get easier than that. I used curry instead of the cumin and coriander. I also used organic chicken broth I purchased in a supermarket instead of the stock cubes. Needless to say, it's delicious.
I topped this with a spoonful of the yogurt "cheese" from the weekend. My daugher likes this over rice. An added bonus is that I have lunch already made for tomorrow. Yay!
Today went pretty well. My students are sweet. It should be a good (but busy) year. I'm particularly excited to teach The Crucible this fall. There are so many opportunities to blend literature, creativity, and history together. We'll see if I'm still cooking by the end of the week!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

OOH!! Sounds so yummy!! PS, if you have a chance, check out my other blog! Looking for collaborators! xoxo

Kristin said...

That is a beautiful picture of Nigella...can't say that I have ever seen it before..well, can't say that anymore! And Butternut Squash soup is so tasty...I will have to give this recipe a go. I also will take away a "tip" of serving this soup, as well as others, over rice for my daughter..I know she will enjoy soup so much more with the addition of rice...picture me thumping my forehead with my palm for not having thought of this myself! Thank you so much..for all of your tips. :)

Jojo said...

I don't know Nigella Lawson but she is beautiful and the soup sounds marvelous. With a crusty french loaf it sounds like a great Fall soup and I can't wait to try it.