Tuesday, July 1, 2008

So many books, so little time...





This is the pile of books I am in the process of reading at present. My appetite for books is ferocious. I can't devour them fast enough. In fact, it would be so much easier if I could just eat them. I have a habit of reading a handful of books at a time. I've always been like that. Again, I blame it on my fickle nature (or undiagnosed ADD)....Ha. A closer analysis reveals it's not all that crazy of a pile. Two are cookbooks, which I read for fun, but interestingly enough, rarely use. I like to get ideas, see what others are up to in the kitchen. The mythology book reminds me of Griffin and Sabine. It has all kinds of secret compartments, hidden pages and envelopes to open. There is even a lock of golden fleece tucked inside a compressed paper box. So clever. I found it in the children's section of the library.
I had book guilt for never reading the DaVinci Code. What kind of reader am I? When a friend was giving it away, I thought I'd give it a tumble. The ideas set forth are intriguing, but overall I find it to be one long game of cat and mouse. It is set in France, however. I'm almost finished after a few months of picking it up only when the guilt thing creeps in.
The others are in various states of beginnings and middles. I confess, Jackie Collins is my guilty pleasure. I started reading her books when at age 12, I found a copy of Chances on my grandparents bookshelf. Hmmm... Anyway, I think I am beginning to fall in love with Ruth Reichl's Tender at the Bone. It's a book after my own heart, a humorous and touching memoir about growing up "around the table." Food as communicator and connector, right Rachael? I read the first fifty pages in my car this morning after I showed up for yoga class 45 minutes early to do just that.

No comments: