Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Reading and Feeding

I LOVE OLD COOKBOOKS.
...Just in case you didn't know.
When I am looking for a certain something to read or to cook, but I don't know what that "something" is...I tend to go to the school library. Oddly enough, it houses an extensive cookbook collection for a high school. The variety has ranged from African to Macrobiotic cuisine and I have been pleased with them all. I didn't realize until today, however, that three days ago-I unearthed a small treasure.
I was looking for something French to cook or to bake during the next few weeks. It has been so cold and damp here lately. I have been tired too, so I've been opting for easier meals (I'm embarrassed to admit) primarily made in our toaster oven.
Anyway, I was instantly attracted to the size, cover, and all-around vintage look of
The Complete Tante Marie's French Kitchen. I've been studying it the past day or so, and have been quite impressed with its level of accessibility (without sacrificing authenticity). The recipes are straightforward and call for the most basic ingredients. I have a shelf filled with fancy French cookbooks, both used and new in my collection, but this by far would be my "go-to" french cookbook, if only I owned a copy! By the way, I could not find an image of the cover I have, but the one above is close enough!
Tonight, a quick search has revealed that this cookbook may in fact be out of print; and that it was/is a French classic. Also, I am not surprised to learn that Tante Marie, like her American soul sister Betty Crocker, never did exist. No problem, because to me, they are both alive and well in my kitchen where I will enjoy creating their down-to-earth, home-style
recipes. Thank-you, Ladies!
I made Tante Marie's Buttered Apples tonight. They were perfect and very french, all butter and sugar. I'm on my second. It's sooooo good. But it has been a long day and I am tired. I just want to plop down on my couch and read some more recipes and then give the other two novels some serious attention...if I'm still awake.
Until tomorrow, sweet (apple) dreams.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Aww..Sweet Apple Dreams..Love it.

As for French cooking...I could cook some mean crepes..as in really, really, really good..I don't want to toot my own horn or anything, but "toot toot".

But, it ends there. I am interested to know about these buttered apples though...how did you cook them?

Kristin said...

Just saw your comment! We are not leaving until February 14th, Yes, Valentines Day! So, I will definitely get the package...Looking forward to it! =)