Friday, January 9, 2009

Sometimes I forget...

"Cheshire Cat" Colored pencil drawing by Skyestasia
I'm all over the place tonight. While driving to pick-up Cub this evening I noticed that the moon looked almost full. So, I'll blame it on the moon! I wanted to share something I made for dinner, a Morroccan spice blend. It was nirvana on my tongue...Just like the above drawing was nirvana to my eyes when I first spotted it this evening. I found it while searching for an image to accompany the spice blend recipe. Funny how things work sometimes. I was searching for an image of Cheshire cat from Alice and this is what I came up with. I tried to find out more about this artist, but there is not much on the website. I love the drawing. I love the colors, the mosaic-like quality, the whole feel of it. I love the fact that it was made with colored pencil, such a modest medium.
And I don't know why, but it reminds me of....Me.
The me I used to be before I was anyone, really.
Just plain old me.
And it makes me happy because in the middle of my hectic life...In the middle of being a mommy and a teacher and many things in between...I sometimes forget.
Morroccan Spice Blend - Inspiration from here.
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. garam masala
1/2 tsp. chile powder
1/2 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
pinch of cloves
Just mix all together in a bowl or small jar. I sprinkled it on before roasting red peppers and chickpeas. Then I served the dish over couscous with a dallop of plain yogurt on the side.
This would be a nice addition to any vegetable dish, especially squash.
I'm going to try it on roasted chicken and lamb, too.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

ooh, sounds yummy!! I love moroccan anything!!! house is making my allergies crazy, ugh! might bring over some felt to play with, I need to learn/practice embroidery stitches! see ya lovely! p.s. renee and i are neighbors!!