Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Caramel" Apple Crisp

I'm happy to be home in my nice, warm, house tonight. I'm listening to the rain and enjoying the calm, finally. Today felt a bit like the day before a big holiday. Lots of excitement. There was a buzz in the air and it's usually that buzz that makes the students a bit "restless" (eh-hem).
Understandably so, but still.
Last night's vegan Snickerdoodles would have been delicious had I not let them continue to bake for eight minutes over the recommended bake time. I know! Cookies always fool
me with their soft gooeyness. Ya never think that stuff can turn to rock in a matter of minutes.
Anyway, I totally redeemed myself tonight with my very own version of a "Caramel" Apple Crisp.
The "Caramel" is in quotes 'cause I used butterscotch chips.
Apple Crisp is one of those fun recipes because it allows for a lot of improv, as long as you've got the basics.
Here's what I did:
Step 1: Slice about four apples. I leave the skin partially on. I like it like that. I cut these slices in half, but you could leave them as is. I'm always thinking about little windpipes and such.
Step 2: Throw them into your baking pan and toss with cinnamon and sugar. I also added a healthy dose of nutmeg-we love that spice around here. I also added a glug of maple syrup and a small tip of vanilla extract. I tossed this all together and then added my topping.
Steps 3,4,5, etc... I mixed the topping in a separate bowl. I eyeballed all the measurements: About 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/4 c. wheat germ, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, pinch o' salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar. I whisked it all together. Then I added about five tablespoons of butter all cut up. I mushed it all with my fingers. Fun!
We added the topping and then added about 1/2 cup or maybe more of the butterscotch chips. Next time, I think I would add the chips before sprinkling on the topping.

I dotted the crisp with a few more bits of butter before baking, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. If I can "toot my own horn" here for a minute...This was outrageously good.
Just what the doctor ordered. The only thing that I wished I had was a big dallop of whipped cream to top it all off. Mmmmmm.


And while we're on the topic of treats, I've been meaning to show and tell my favorite halloween candy find of 2008!

On halloween night, I thought we would run out of candy, so we ran out to Family Dollar and that is where I found these heavenly little morsels. I am a huge peanut butter fan. I could eat it in some form every day. Love it. Well, I loved the old fashioned Mary Janes when I was a kid, too. I never knew these little kisses existed. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for that little Mary Jane girl. I think that's what initially attracted me to the bag. Then I realized what they were. I wish I would have bought more of these. They are a soft, creamy, taffy kiss with REAL peanut butter right smack in the center. Heaven.
And considering the price of candy, these were a steal at $1.00 bag.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

ok...I'm coming over!! LOL, seriously, that looks delicious!! And I have never even heard of that candy before...Allison and I eat peanut butter by the spoonful!