Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Gentle Day

No other way to describe it. We woke-up at our leisure and cuddled for a while in my bed.
I think that's my favorite thing in the whole world. Cub crawls in and just snuggles against me gently, to wake me.
Then we were off to my parent-teacher conference. Yup. She's aces, but I already knew that! Hee, hee.
We celebrated afterwards with a trip to Michael's and out for Chinese food.
Then home for Mama and Cub playtime. Crafting for me and dramatic play for my girl.


The second best part of the day had to be snuggling on the couch for a late afternoon viewing of The Secret Garden. This was one of my favorite books growing up. I love the movie, too. She fell asleep wrapped in a bundle of blankets next to me as the sun settled down through the windows of our apartment.
I sipped big mugs of organic black tea with lots of honey and lemon.
Feeling a bit under the weather.
I thought of my brother today and two of my uncles that served our country.
I keep a photo of my Uncle Richard on my dresser even though I never had the chance to meet him. He was my grandpa's youngest brother (out of six kids).
My grandpa didn't come from the happiest of homes. Not such a nice family life, unfortunately.
My grandfather told us that Richard ran away from home to join the navy. He lied about his age because he was too young. But he did it because he was extremely patriotic and he used to tell my grandfather, "I just feel something when I see that flag waving."
He died serving the country that he loved in Pearl Harbor.
Love and Blessings to all who have sacrificed for our beautiful home.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

so beautiful!! what a nice way to spend the day! and what a moving story.

Kristin said...

I love the brooch, by the way...and Sounds like another wonderful day. I keep pictures like that as well...of family that I haven't met but about whom I know I would have loved if I had, so I love them and miss them. Such a wonderful story to share about your Uncle on this day..